The Companions of the Cross minister within Canada and the United States. Please see below to discover more about the ministries in each area: Ottawa, Toronto, Halifax, Houston and Detroit.
You are also welcome to read more about our ministries — how we are called to participate in the ongoing renewal of the Church.
Discerning a new Foundation
We are often asked whether we have plans to expand to a particular diocese or city. From the very early days of our community, our Founder invited us to be open to the possibility that the Lord may lead us anywhere. So we do not place any preconceived restrictions on the location of future foundations. We will go wherever the Lord sends us, and we know he is the God of the unexpected. Our leadership will give sincere consideration to any legitimate proposal. But we do have some specific criteria to help us discern whether the Lord is indeed calling us to open a new foundation:
- We are invited by a welcoming and supportive bishop.
- We will be able to assign a minimum of four priests to full-time ministry.
- The foundation can provide living accommodations for a minimum of five or six persons.
- Our priests will be able to engage in team/shared ministry assignments, if feasible.
- Ministry assignments are in reasonably close proximity to living accommodations.
- There will be real openness and acceptance of our charism (evangelization and community life) and spirituality (charismatic, Eucharistic, magisterial, and Marian).
- We are given a concrete offer leading to a clear contract.
- Ordinarily, ministries in the new foundation will be financially viable and sustainable (exceptions are possible in exceptional cases).
- Cultural differences are not too great (unless a true “mission” ministry is envisioned).
- The new foundation will be in sufficient proximity to Ottawa or to other foundations to enable ongoing contact and support.
- There may be secondary benefits in a given location (e.g. possible collaboration with like-minded movements or institutions).
- Our community at large is at peace with the eventual choice, and we have men willing to go.
- The proposed ministries are in accord with the mission of our society (see C42–C49).
Not all of the above criteria are of equal weight, and exceptions are possible, but in general we will want all of them to be met before agreeing to undertake an expansion to a new geographic location.