What is it that makes it so hard to get started?
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Feeling stuck
- Believing the inner lie, 'you'll never finish so don't bother getting started.'
These forces are at work in in our spiritual journey as well.
We can feel frustrated or guilty because we are not making progress. Today, we are going to talk about how to start well. When I think about the spiritual race there are three categories of people:
- Those who are out for a walk or just wandering. They are unsure that there is a race.
- Those who are on the race course, but are drifting. They are vaguely pointing in right direction but not moving very fast.
- Those who are competing in the amazing race. Those who know exactly where they want to go. They have this dogged determination that they are going to finish. They don't settle for anything less than the amazing race.
We can't compete in the amazing race if we are having trouble getting started.
The answer is faith.
Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen.
- Faith gives us power to start well. If you are feeling stuck, ask for faith. The power to take the first step.
- Begin with the end in mind. If you want to go to heaven begin with the end in mind. We have a choice with what we want to do with our lives. We can strive to become a saint or we can go to hell. There is a choice. The only people in Heaven are saints. What do you want God to say about you at the end of your life? He knows is we are wandering, drifting, or if we have engaged in the amazing race.
Take a pen and paper and write down the person you hope to become. What does that person look like? What is their attitude, spiritual practices, and what are their relationships like? Ask God to give you the faith to close the gap between where you are today and where you want to be.
We trick ourselves thinking we can procrastinate. What if older never comes? What if you just continue procrastinating. Do not delay. This race that God is calling us to requires no qualification. We are all eligible to start running today.
“Jesus, increase our faith.”
Homily begins at 23:00.