How is your Lent going so far?
An authentic encounter with God leads to a desire to serve him.
Sometimes, people have an experience and enjoy it. But, they want to stay there. We heard about that in the Gospel during the transfiguration when Peter wanted to stay on the mountain. Jesus is saying, I want you to see me for who I am. But, we have to go back down the mountain. There is a mission we have to accomplish. Are you willing to do what I need you to do?
God doesn't want us to stay with the experience alone. He wants us to do his will. As we receive his love we need to find healthy outlets to share that love with other people.
- When we step out to serve, it is going to require trust and sacrifice.
"Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father's house to a land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing" (Genesis 12:1-2).
All that God needs is your willingness. If you are willing and available to God he will bless you and use you to bless other people. It will could require a sacrifice of your time, perhaps your money, or rearranging priorities. It might not always be fun but, it is good.
- God doesn't ask the impossible of us.
He is asking you to use the gifts that he has given to you. He has already given you the gifts that he is asking you to use. God has gifted you in a particular way. The Holy Spirit is God's gift to us. The Holy Spirit is the promise that God offers to us. A whole bunch of other gifts come with the Holy Spirit.
You might not know your gifts - but God has promised gifts to each of us.
"To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit" (1 Corinthians 12:7).
"As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God’s varied grace" (1 Peter 4:10).
3 applications to this message about the gifts that God give us.
- To use our gifts in a meaningful way it all begins with an experience. God desperately wants to reveal himself to you, wherever you are at. He wants you to know who he is and that he loves you. This can happen any day, even today. "Am I open to experiencing God on his terms?"
- Pay close attention to the ways that God has gifted you. How has God blessed me? What are the gifts God has given me and how might he be calling me to serve others?
- Experiment - try some things out and see what it is like.
God wants to bless you so go and be a blessing to others.
Homily Begins at 18:00.