We have to look to Jesus in our marriages as the rock, the foundation, the example, and as the model to. If we want to have healthy, fruitful marriages we need to look to Jesus and the cross and imitate him in our marriages.
Here are 5 spiritual gems of a happy and successful marriage:
- As a couple, consecrate your day to Jesus every morning. Offer everything to Jesus, your family, your thoughts, your words, actions, prayers, work, etc.
"O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and suffering of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, reparation for sins, the reunion of all Christians; I offer them for the intentions of our Bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.
- As a couple, finish your day together by doing a daily consciousness examine. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you look back over your day. Give thanks for all the blessings of the day. Examine how the day went. Ask God, silently on your own, to forgive you for any sins you have committed. Ask for the grace to hear the promptings of the Holy Spirit for the next day.
- As a couple, once you have silently completed your consciousness examine, ask for forgiveness of one another.
- Make receiving the sacraments the high priority. If possible, go to daily mass together. If not possible, go to mass together on Sunday. Go to confession once a month.
- Discover each other's charisms. Discover the spiritual gifts of your spouse.
Less than 1 % of married couples who pray seriously together in this way end in divorce.